1. Join E-Subscriptions
  2. Submit a Service Request
  3. Pay Your City Utility Bill
  4. Sign Up for a Class
  5. eTrakit/Online Permitting
  6. Employment Opportunities
  7. Buy Grand Theatre Tickets
  8. Watch Live Council Meetings
  9. Watch Live Planning Commission Meetings
  10. Submit an Online Police Report
  11. Tracy Municipal Code
  12. Master Fee Schedule

City Departments

Vacant/Abandoned Properties

What are the City's requirements regarding vacant and/or abandoned buildings?

The City of Tracy is actively involved in addressing nuisances associated with vacant and/or unsecured buildings. Abandoned buildings are often neglected and result in neighborhood blight. The City of Tracy's Boarding of Unsecured Buildings Ordinance was adopted to increase the responsibility of property owners for maintaining the building and for taking measures to deter criminal activity. In addition, Code Enforcement inspections identify violations associated with the vacant property, which includes garbage, debris, fire hazards, unsecured openings, abandoned vehicles and other code violations.

How does the City of Tracy identify a vacant or abandoned building?

Buildings are identified by citizen complaints to Code Enforcement or by city officials.

When a building is reported, a case is created and a Code Enforcement Officer is assigned to inspect the property to ensure it is secure and free of code violations, such as garbage, debris, fire hazards, abandoned vehicles and dead vegetation. If violations are discovered, the City initiates code action to encourage the property owner to comply with the abatement of the violations within a specified timeframe.

What is the process for reporting a vacant or abandoned building?

Vacant or abandoned buildings can be reported to the City of Tracy Code Enforcement Division at (209) 831-6410, reported online at Government Outreach or via email at main-Code.Enforcement@cityoftracy.org.

Are there fees/penalties for not maintaining a vacant building?

A vacant building is subject to administrative or judicial penalties if the property is not maintained or secured as required by the Tracy Municipal Code.

Are there any laws against occupying an abandoned building?

Occupying an abandoned or vacant building you do not own or rent is considered trespassing.

Is there a place or a number for reporting crime/squatters in an abandoned building?

To report individuals trespassing in a vacant building, please contact the Tracy Police Department’s non-emergency number at (209) 831-6550.

Sitemap   |   Privacy Policy   |   Site Policy   |   Employee Login   |  
Bookmark and Share               
Website Design and Development by Jel