1. Join E-Subscriptions
  2. Submit a Service Request
  3. Pay Your City Utility Bill
  4. Sign Up for a Class
  5. eTrakit/Online Permitting
  6. Employment Opportunities
  7. Buy Grand Theatre Tickets
  8. Watch Live Council Meetings
  9. Watch Live Planning Commission Meetings
  10. Submit an Online Police Report
  11. Tracy Municipal Code
  12. Master Fee Schedule

Election FAQ

Tracy's general municipal election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even numbered years. The date of the next election is November 3, 2020. The Mayor and Council Members are elected at-large on a non-partisan basis. The Mayor is elected to a two-year term; Council Members are elected to four year terms. Council Members can serve no more than two four-year terms, and Mayors can serve no more than two two-year terms. All Council Members enjoy the same power and privileges; however, the Mayor presides over Council meetings, signs official documents, and officiates at ceremonies and events. Following each election, the City Council appoints a Mayor Pro Tem who assumes the duties of the Mayor in his or her absence. The City Treasurer is elected to a four-year term.

What is on the November 3, 2020 ballot?

Notice of Election 2020

When do Absentee Ballots go out?

Absentee ballots will begin going out the week of October 5, 2020. Vote-by-mail ballots must be postmarked on or before November 3, 2020 in order to count in the November election. Vote-by-mail ballots may also be dropped off at any polling place on November 3 between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. If you have any questions about your absentee ballot or are not currently an absentee voter and would like to be one, visit: www.sjcrov.org.

If I am a Poll Voter, where do I vote?

If you are a registered voter, you may vote in person at your designated polling place. If you do not know where your polling place is, please visit: www.sjcrov.org/poll_samples/pollplac.htm. Election Day is November 3, 2020. Polling locations are open between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. If you are not registered to vote, you may do so online by October 19, 2020 at www.registertovote.ca.gov.

What compensation does City Council receive?

Pursuant to City of Tracy Ordinance 1094, the City Council receives a monthly salary of $585 and the Mayor receives $685.

When can I take out nomination papers?

The nomination period runs from July 13 until August 7, 2020.  If an eligible incumbent has not filed on the last day of the nomination period, the voters shall have until August 12, 2020, to nominate candidates other than the person who was the incumbent on August 7, 2020.

Is there anything I can do before the nomination period opens?

Before a candidate raises any money a Form 501 (Candidate Intention Statement) must be filed with the City Clerk's office.   If a candidate intends to raise or spend less than $2,000, a Form 470 (Office Holder and Candidate Campaign Statement - Short Form), must be filed with the City Clerk's office.

Is there a fee to pay when I file my nomination papers?

Yes, there is $25 filing fee for a candidate for municipal office in the City of Tracy. There is an additional fee to pay if you choose to file a candidate statement. However, this fee is determined by the Registrar of Voters office, not the City, and the amount varies with each election.

What if I change my mind about being a candidate after I have filed my nomination papers?

You may withdraw your candidacy any time prior to the close of the nomination period. If you choose to withdraw after that date, your name will appear on the ballot.

When officeholders or candidates receive contributions of $2,000 or more, are they required to have a committee?

Yes. An officeholder or candidate who receives contributions (including loans) that total $2,000 or more in a calendar year must file a Form 410 (Statement of Organization).

If I use only my own money do I still need to file campaign statements?

If you chose not to solicit contributions of more than $1,000, and do not anticipate spending $2,000 or more during the calendar year, a  Form 470 ( (Office Holder and Candidate Campaign Statement - Short Form) must be filed with the City Clerk's office.

Can you serve as your own Treasurer?

Yes. State law allows you to serve as your own treasurer, as long as this is designated on the Form 410.

Why is there so much paperwork involved in running for office?

State law requires that you file the appropriate materials to ensure that you are fully disclosing all information pertinent to your candidacy. The purpose of the requirements is to ensure a fair and democratic electoral process.

Where can I get more information?

The City Clerk's office is responsible for overseeing the City's general municipal election. The phone number is (209) 831-6105.

Sitemap   |   Privacy Policy   |   Site Policy   |   Employee Login   |  
Bookmark and Share               
Website Design and Development by Jel